Chili Garlic Noodles with Mushroom and Spinach topping
Ever since I started my blog, one of the recipes that was requested by most of my friends and colleagues was the Chili Garlic Noodles Recipe. I’m finally putting this recipe down so you all enjoy making it as much as you loved eating it at work.
Boiled or Stir fried, in a soup or just as a main dish, thin, fat or even flat, “Noodles” is a dish that is simply enjoyed by all ages. I call them ‘Magical White Strands’, as they truly are enjoyable in any way that you eat them. You may fry them for a chop suey, eat them flat as in Malaysian noodles, eat them thin and stir fried in a Hakka noodle, add them to you soup as in Thukpa, season well and even use them in your Spring rolls etc. The list is just endless. Today you also have healthier options like wheat noodles, spinach noodles, black bean noodles, so on and so forth. So like I said earlier, any great seasoning, vegetables or meat added on this gorgeous bed of noodles is worth a try and today my recipe is a really simple one. Only 3 main ingredients and you have the best chili garlic base ever. Let`s simply begin.
Water 4-5 cups + 1 tbsp of oil while boiling
Plain Vegetable Noodles – 500 gm
Onion – 1 large
Garlic cloves – 15 to 18
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Monosodium Glutamate – 1 tsp (optional; if your health permits you to)
Oil – 2 tbsp
For the topping – (optional)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Finely chopped garlic – ½ tsp
Button Mushrooms – 8 to 10 cut into half each
Spinach – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Pepper – ½ tsp
Spring onions – 1 tbsp
Chili flakes – ½ tsp
1) In a thick bottom pan, boil water and add some oil. Add the noodles and cook for 5- 7 minutes until done. Strain and cool by adding cold water so the noodles are nice and separate. Keep aside.
2) In a blender grind together the onions, garlic and red chili powder to a fine paste (you may not need water during this procedure as it should grind well from the water released from the onions; in case it doesn’t just add a table spoon).
3) In a pan add oil, and pour the onion- garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears (about 5- 7 min). Add salt and MSG and mix for another minute. Now add in the noodles and simply stir. Coat the noodles fully well with this mixture and let it cook for another 3 minutes.
4) Remove and arrange in a serving bowl garnishing with some spring onions and chili flakes.
For the topping
1) Heat oil in a pan and add garlic when hot. Fry the garlic for couple of minutes and add in the mushrooms. Cook for a minute again and add in the spinach. Once all the water dries up from the mushrooms and the spinach add salt and pepper.
2) Add this topping to your bowl of chili garlic noodles before you serve as it is a great add on.
How simple a dish to make; eat is plain or with the topping, it tastes excellent either way. It amazes me how a simple base like this can be so powerful to add flavor to plain noodles. It`s a family favorite dish and I hope you all love it. And you know I’ll say it’s Simply Savvillicious!!
Cooking Time: 20 min
Serves: 4 people
Inspiration: This recipe was introduced to me by mum and ever since I have been a fan of it. Thank you mom for teaching me such a simple and tasty recipe! Every colleague of mine at work loves these noodles and I’ve even forgotten how many times I’ve made this recipe for them. Dedicated to all of my friends. Keep cooking.