Cumin flavored Chicken and Spinach Kebabs
So,the coal is burning,the nights young,a home full of guests and wine flowing.What should I expect to eat?While I was thinking,out came a plate with the most deliciously flavored,tenderly cooked pieces of chicken wrapped in the aroma of cumin and garlic,served with onions and lime.Sounds tasty isn’t it?Well,it was out from my kitchen served to my guests,as I always imagine what would I like to get served at a party and what would I remember that party for afterward.So to create that ever lasting impression,I made these cumin flavored chicken and spinach kebabs for my guests and I hoped the taste stayed on their minds for a long time.Sometimes when you are hungry,you recall a particular taste,of a particular dish, served at a particular place,and even before you know it your drooling and your mouths watering.That was my motive and sure enough my mission was accomplished.The kebabs stole the show as I served them hot,with a mint yogurt dip and crunchy onions and today my guests always remember those kebabs from my party.Truly,‘Simply Savvillicious’.Let’s begin!
Minced Chicken- 250 gm
Onions – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Green chillies – ½ tbsp finely chopped
Ginger-Garlic – freshly pounded – 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Oil – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Spinach – 3 tbsp
Spring Onions – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 ½ tsp
Cumin (jeera) powder ½ tsp
Vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp to roast the kebabs
Onion – ¼ sliced or finely chopped
Coriander leaves 1 tbsp
Chaat masala ½ tsp
Lemon – a few drops
1) In a bowl add the minced chicken,onions,green-chillies,ginger- garlic and coriander leaves.Keep aside.
2) In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds and wait until it splutters.Add the spinach and saute until its dry as spinach releases water while cooking.Add in the spring onions and saute for another minute.Turn off the heat.
3) Now add the cooked spinach to the chicken mixture.Add salt,pepper powder, garam masala powder,coriander powder and cumin powder and mix well to form a dough.
4) Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and flatten each to make kebabs (like a pattie/tikki) of about 3 inches.
5) Heat oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry the chicken kebabs until crispy and golden brown on both sides.
6) If u have a grill,or a barbecue,or a tandoor,roast the kebabs directly on the fire or the coal to extract a charred and rustic taste.
Garnish with onions,coriander leaves,chaat masala and lime.
The flavor of cumin, the seasoning of the masalas, the taste from the garlic and the health quotient from the spinach,could there be a better combination?Just try it!!
It’s best accompanied with a mint curd dip and any flat bread of your choice (rotis, naan or pita bread).
Tip – You can also make a chicken frankie/roll out of these kebabs by placing it in a roti,adding your mint mayo and tomato sauce,some fresh crunchy vegetables, cheese and seasoning. So,Wrap and Roll baby!!
Cooking Time: 25-30 min
Serves: Makes 10 kebabs
Inspiration: This recipe is an inspiration from my Bhabhi Simran who is a great cook and makes the most simple,tasty and healthy dishes. She told me about this recipe once and I totally loved the idea of adding Cumin and Spinach to the kebabs.She always encouraged me to make my blog and today I want to thank her for being an inspiration and an influence in my cooking.Thank you Sim!